Saturday, June 19, 2010

saigon

Saigon is crazy--people either love saigon and hate hanoi or vice versa. I love saigon and would stay a little bit longer, but it is expensive by vietnam standards (even though I managed to get a $30 hotel room for just $16 a night--and no, I didn't do anything illegal--all I did was walk into a hotel, look at the price list, begin to walk out saying that the price was too high, and the receptionist immediately knocked off almost half. Took a look at the room, and I was sold. I'm paying more than the going rate for aircon rooms--about 10-13 bucks, but I'm getting far more bang for my buck.)

I would truly love to stay and travel in SE Asia for longer, but the problem is that I have run out of Malarone--my anti-malaria medication. In theory, I should have been back in the U.S. a week ago, since you are supposed to take Malarone for a week once you leave malaria infested areas, but before I planned my vietnam excursion, I went on the CDC's website, and it said that malaria isn't a problem in Vietnam unless you go inland into the rural areas. I was sticking to the coast route where malaria is non-existent, so I could fulfill the week-long requirement in Vietnam.

I am also going to store some of my luggage at the Singapore Airport--because Singapore is such a major transit hub, they have safe, secure, and cheap luggage storage facilities. I had to buy another bag to carry my suits in, so that is what I will be storing--don't worry, I am not camping out at the airport--I have a hostel booked in Singapore, and will be spending the night there.

No comments:

Post a Comment