Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Should I stay or should I go?

I've already received emails from Cathay Pacific telling me that I can now check in online for my flight back to the States if I want to. I'm holding off.

The problem--I'm about 95% sure that I don't want to go back to the States. I know where I want to go instead, and know what flight I want to take, and know roughly where I would go, and how long I would roughly take.

I considered going to one or two of the five countries in SE Asia that I had missed--Burma, Thailand, the Philippines, Vietnam, and Laos. Of the five, one clear choice emerged: Laos.
Everybody in Cambodia simply raved about Laos, and those that had been to multiple countries already routinely said it was their favorite place to visit. It is a slower pace of life, and people couldn't stop talking about how much they enjoyed it. Furthermore, because of its relative remoteness, going to Laos basically requires that you are in SE Asia beforehand (and even then, it is much easier going from Cambodia, Vietnam, or Thailand to Laos than it is from Singapore--visa issues mean that I can't go through Cambodia or Vietnam--requires one in advance--and the political situation in bangkok is front page news all over the world--last time they had a protest, they managed to shut down the international airport back in 2006. I'm not going to take my chances). Of course, as I sit here typing this, the travel channel is broadcasting a program on Laos.

Now, it would have made a heck of a lot more sense for me to go from Cambodia to Laos than from Cambodia to Singapore to Laos, but because of my U.S. ticket, I had to get to Singapore to see what my options were. This means that my only realistic option is going through Kuala Lumpur, where Air Asia flies to the Laotian capital of Vientiane on Saturday, Thursday, and Tuesday.

The problem?

Air Asia just launched a massive fare sale that includes free seats for travel booked by the end of may and commenced in 2011. Their website is overloaded. I cannot even see what the price for me to travel to Vientiane would be, let alone if there's any availability (fortunately, they have an office in Singapore that I will go to tmw.)

I'd also like to go to a beach in SE Asia before I leave, so I might also try to squeeze in a trip to Phuket (south of thailand, but far, far, away from Bangkok) as well.

I'm also slightly fatigued, and need maybe a one day break of sorts before heading onward.

If I do change my ticket, I will also be missing the series finale of Lost. I have watched the show since the very first episode debuted and I was a freshman in college. The show, though, has gone steadily downhill since the first season (with the exception of the season three finale) as the creators have increased the sci-fi emphasis and decreased the emphasis on the drama within the individual characters. I just want to see how it ends and don't want it to be spoiled.

They should have learned from the Battlestar Galactica remake--a show on Sci-Fi that was very highly regarded since it took modern and dramatic themes and put them in a unique setting, and didn't really rely on the sci-fi elements as necessities to the storyline.

Whatever. If I can miss Modano and Lehtinen's likely final home game (it was the same night as my flight out, and I felt physically sick to my stomach when I realized that I would be missing it. Yes, I have become so addicted/emotionally attached to the Stars that I now get physically sick), I can miss the finale of a tv show that I can easily catch up on online.

Will post updates later about what will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment